April Fools Day is coming up, and it’s the perfect time to have a little fun. If you’re planning some April Fools office pranks, you will want to make sure you don’t do anything too embarrassing or invasive to your coworkers (or your boss!) because you do have to work with these people AFTER the fool’s holiday is over (unless you get fired, that is). So we’ve pulled together a list of 10 “good clean fun” April Fools office pranks that won’t get you fired or otherwise outcast. Happy fooling!
- Plastic Wrapped Doorway – Whether it’s the main door, your office door or the bathroom door, it can be hysterical watching a coworker bounce off! This prank is most effective in a dimly lit space to avoid glare spoiling the surprise. Sometimes just a strip waist high does the trick and goes most easily undetected.
- Dead Mouse – No, we’re not talking about killing any real animals here! For this April Fools office prank, position a sticker (or tape a piece of paper) under the mouse on their computer. Whether it’s a laser mouse or a ball-rolling mouse, the sticker will interfere with the mouse’s ability to work. Once they finally realize why their mouse isn’t working, they will look under their mouse and see the sticker or tape. Don’t forget to write “April Fools” on it!
- Held Ransom – Swipe and hide one of your coworker’s prized possessions (their favorite coffee mug or desk ornament, perhaps?), and leave in its place an anonymous ransom note that they must pay a piece of candy for its safe return. You decide the terms…. meeting time and place, etc.
- QWERTY Keyboard No More – This April Fools office prank really spells out the holiday! Most people type on their keyboard without even glancing down at the keys, but you know where all the letters are already. This April Fools Day, pop off and rearrange the keys on a coworker’s keyboard so the letters say APRIL FOOLS, and see how long it takes for them to notice.
- Biggest Fan In The Office – Deck your coworker’s or boss’s office out in posters and fan gear from a celebrity they don’t really love. (Think Justin Bieber, Ozzy Osborn, Spice Girls, KISS, politician, etc.). Imagine the look of surprise on their face when they walk into their fan crazed office.
- Biggest Fan On The Road – This is the next step up from #5. Buy some car markers, and decorate the unsuspecting victim’s vehicle with declarations of fanship or something equally as outrageous… I’m thinking, “JUSTIN BIEBER’S #1 FAN!” or something of the like. Imagine your coworker’s surprise when s/he thinks s/he has made it through the day without being pranked… only to find his or her vehicle decorated. But then having to drive it home or to the car wash? That’s priceless.
- Anybody Want A Peanut? – Get your hands on some packing peanuts, and choose your victim. Leave their desk drawer contents in tact, but fill them to the brim with packing peanuts. Leave a note on their desk that says, “I hope you’re not allergic to peanuts!” With their drawers closed, they will likely be confused by the note and continue about their day. Then the first time they open a drawer to grab a pen or paper, they will realize they’ve been pranked!
- “Roaring” With Laughter – While your boss is on the phone, in a meeting or steps out, leave a message on their desk notifying them of a missed call. This phony call is from a manager named ‘Bear’ who wants to meet for lunch this week to discuss a possible partnership, and he can be reached at this number. When your boss dials the number, and someone picks up and thanks them for calling their local zoo, s/he will likely discover the joke. If not at that point, they will proceed to ask to speak with ‘Bear’ which would make the prank even more hilarious!
- Rubber Critter – Whether it’s a rubber snake, spider, mouse or other fear-inspiring critter, this prank is sure to bring about a few laughs. Hide the critter in plain sight and attach a fishing line to one end. When an unsuspecting victim is about to cross its path, pull the string so the movement is sure to catch their eye… and then wait for the scream. If you’re looking to put in less effort, it can be equally as terrifying to find a large spider on your desk or chair.
- Chair Wrap – From foil to wrapping paper to toilet paper, decide on your material of choice for this April Fools office prank. Wrap your coworker’s chair completely, sneaking a Whoopie Cushion under the wrap beforehand. When they walk in and see their chair wrapped, they’ll likely laugh and expect the joke is over… until they sit down on the hidden Whoopie Cushion. A Staples Easy Button in place of the Whoopie Cushion could be just as funny (“that was easy”).
A few April Fools office tips, tricks and things to remember….
- Any prank you do should be quick and in good fun.
- Never prank anyone you genuinely don’t like or who you suspect might not like you.
- Do not waste a lot of company time either setting up the prank or for the victim to clean up or recover from the prank. If the prank requires a lot of set up time, make sure to come in early or use your lunch break.
- The trick to not getting pranked: arrive early and don’t leave your desk unattended at all throughout the day!
- If you DO get pranked, don’t be offended! Usually people who get pranked are chosen for their good humor and likelihood to be a good sport. Try to embrace the prank, and laugh it up!
Those are our suggestions for “good clean fun” April Fools office pranks that should be relatively safe to pull, regardless of your office atmosphere. Are there any others you would add to the list? What pranks have been pulled in your office over the years?