A big Mannix Marketing WELCOME to Laura Eggleston, the newest programmer to join the Mannix Marketing team! Laura will be primarily working on our online guides, but is happy to help our development team with projects as needed.
This week, I asked Laura some questions to help us get to know her better. Here is what she had to say…
1. We know you’re a fan of science and technology and enjoy building things. What is your favorite “gadget” that you have built?
- Building desktop computers is definitely my favorite thing to do. For years now my dad and I have been building computers together. It’s always a really fun project! However, I did receive an Arduino for my birthday this year. I’m just starting to learn how to work with it, but I’m looking forward to seeing how many crazy things I can build!
2. We’ve heard that you are a fan of games. What is your favorite game and why?
- Oh, this is a tough one! I think I’d have to say Persona 4 is my favorite video game, closely followed by the other associated games in that series. I have a weakness for games with a really good story, they hook me and I can’t put them down! That whole series of games can be really challenging too, which is another thing I love about them. I grew up with Nintendo though, so Mario and Metroid games are a very close second.
3. You’re a fan of books. What is your favorite book or series of books? What have you not read yet, that you are excited to read next?
- I adore fantasy books, especially ones with really unique and complex systems of magic. My favorite series at the moment is The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss, though I also really enjoyed the Mistborn triology by Brandon Sanderson and The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. There’s so many books I love, I feel like I could go on for days!
4. Growing up in Saratoga Springs, what was your favorite area activity?
- I always look forward to when the New York City Ballet comes to SPAC in the summer – I never miss it! I also really love the holiday season in Saratoga. First Night, the Victorian Streetwalk and all the other seasonal events are always so much fun to attend. It’s amazing to see how much Broadway transforms and how the community comes together for the holidays. It’s beautiful!
5. Now that you’ve been here for over a month, what would you say are your favorite things about being part of the Mannix Marketing family? I know we’re keeping you quite busy, so just <kidding> 50 or 60 will do </kidding>!
- Definitely the atmosphere. Everybody is so friendly and helpful. Naturally I was very nervous when I first started, but everybody really went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable and had everything I need – including answering my thousands of questions! I’m so happy to be part of the team.
6. You lived in Sillicon Valley for a period of time. What drew you back to this neck of the woods?
- There were a lot of factors that caused me to move back home, but more than anything it was family. My family has always been really close and I missed having them within arms reach – especially for all of our giant holiday gatherings! In the end, I’m glad I moved though. Every young 20 something wants to get out and see the world. By doing so I really realized just how much I love the Saratoga area. It’s home!
7. Everyone gets this one! What is your number #1 goal for the immediate future here?
- For the immediate future, I want to get more comfortable with the languages and processes that we work with. I’m still getting acclimated, but I hope soon I’ll be able to navigate the code and the environments easily and comfortably.
Thank you for your time Laura. It’s been great getting to know you better! Welcome to the Mannix Marketing Programming Team.