Well, not really dummies…after all, if you’ve gotten this far, you’re well on your way to making some informed decisions about your website, your business and how you’re going to approach your future online! It is true that good copywriting can make the difference between a website that succeeds or fails. Excellent copywriting and skilled optimization is what puts your website over and above the rest.
In many ways copywriting for the internet, specifically your website, isn’t all that different from other writing with a few notable exceptions. You may have the coolest widget out there, but if you don’t introduce it until halfway through your homepage – or paragraph – your visitors are gonna move on!
The basics for good writing still apply for your website, but there are a few notable exceptions:
* Get to the point: People are busy. If and when they are looking for something specific online, they don’t have the time or patience to wade through a lot of extraneous text. Learn how to build value and create a sense of urgency right up front, and tell the reader what sets you apart. Establishing an emotional connection with your online audience is also a mega plus.
* Global Grammar: There are some things that simply aren’t negotiable when it comes to copywriting, and that includes the most basic rules: Don’t start a sentence with “I” or “And”. Avoid run-on sentences. Check your spelling and avoid lengthy paragraphs!
* Looks are everything: Visitors to the internet are used to scanning a page quickly to determine if it’s what they are looking for. Give them what they want, using clear subheadings and titles, an easy-to-read font, creative bolding within the text (sparingly, please) and links that are visible and stand out clearly just begging them to click!
* Say Yes to SEO: Keywords, anchor text, and more keywords! Learn what they are and how to use them. Carelessly stuffing keywords throughout your text, however, will only anger the search engine gods, so learn how to optimize in a professional manner. Need help? Contact a good SEO firm and explain your website goals!
* Lights, Camera, Action! Any good salesman knows that you’ve got to ask for the business! Strong calls to action on every page of your website are what make people move forward, so don’t mask them in too much verbiage! Make sure to be simple, clear and direct, with a phone number or link where they can reach you.