I’m up here in the Northeast where a major snow/ice/sleet/cats and dogs storm just plowed through. Hundreds of thousands were without electricity and one point or another, and tens of thousands are still without.
That got me to thinking – if I showed up to work this morning and there was no power, what could I actually accomplish as an SEO Strategist? Well, I started a list and here is what I have so far:
- Make a list of all the industries my clients serve or touch in some way – a real comprehensive, free thinking list that goes beyond the normal day to day thinking; from this list devise a link building plan of attack, from types of businesses I will just ask for a link from, to what types of articles I will need to develop to entice these businesses to link to my clients.
- Call my clients and speak with them on a more strategic level that can’t always be touched over in email.
- Think about my clients from a total business perspective – not just an SEO perspective; this should be done often, but without their website to blind me it gives me a chance to really think about their businesses on what I can do to help increase conversions.
- Without having a site in front of me, start from scratch on developing new content for pages that I have been having trouble getting traffic to convert (maybe a high bounce rate page); start my thoughts from a blank slate instead of trying to fit within a design or copy that has all ready been written.
- Read through the stack of industry magazines I have piled up behind me 🙂
- Write a blog about what I am doing, blog writing always a good idea
- Write articles for my clients (I know – I will need to type them up at some point – but at least a first draft gets me going in the right direction here)
Not too bad for just a pencil and paper, right? Now of course the power would still need to come on to complete some of these, but at least I know I won’t be sitting in the dark twiddling my thumbs should the power go out.
I’m sure I haven’t even scratched the service of SEO tasks I could get started on should the power go out, so let me know what you would do in the case of such an emergency.